In the fall of 2010, the West Carleton Garden Club spearheaded the community initiative to beautify the centre of the village of Carp by landscaping the front of the Carp Memorial Hall, site of the WCGC meetings since the club formed in 1989. Discussions began with the City of Ottawa, which owns the property, and the idea escalated into a $25,000, three-phase project.
The WCGC contributed $3,200. Through the city’s Community Partnership Minor Capital Program, we were able to receive the maximum grant of $7,500 after matching that amount with our “Buy a Brick” campaign and donations from area businesses and individuals.
Phase 1 of the project included the removal of an ash tree and blue spruce, a stone resurfacing to the front foundation, a retaining wall around the garden to level the planting area, an interlocking brick path leading to a garden bench and the planting of drought- and salt-tolerant perennials, shrubs and groundcovers. We hired Thunderbolt Contracting Ltd., which offered a considerable donation back to the project. Phase 1 was completed in 2011.
Phase 2 included the replacement of existing signage with a much more attractive heritage sign noting the year the hall was built, which was 1921, along with a new bench. Phase 2 was completed in 2012.
Plans for the final phase include a sculpture to represent a poppy, which is fitting for the Memorial Hall as well as the garden club. This will require additional fundraising. After the many volunteer hours that were spent on organizing the club’s 2012 garden tour, it was decided that we put the sculpture on hold for the time being.
This community project was made possible through partnership with the City of Ottawa, support from the community through our “Buy a Brick” campaign and the generous donations of the following businesses, community groups and individuals: